The 2018 London Grows Training hubs have been announced
Capital Growth has announced seven community food growing sites where they will be running events and training this year, helping them reach more Londoners.
Capital Growth and the training hubs will work in partnership in 2018 to put on two London-wide open days (The Big Dig on Saturday 21 April and the Urban Harvest on Saturday 22 September), and run training sessions to teach people about wildlife gardening and food growing.
The hubs include:
- Brixton Orchard at Pop Brixton: A new green space with 35 fruit trees and hundreds of edible hedges working with Pop Brixton, a temporary project that has turned disused land into a creative space for local, independent businesses.
- De Frene Market Garden at Sydenham Garden: A unique wellbeing centre that uses its gardens to help people in their recovery from ill-health, based in Lewisham.
- London Grown (Wolves Lane): A workers' co-operative creating a community market garden, community space and education hub over two sites including Wolves Lane four acres of glasshouses in Haringey.
- Skip Garden: An urban oasis with a twist - a portable garden using skips that moves to different locations on the King's Cross site as and when land is sold and built on.
- Spitalfields City Farm: A vibrant and colourful multi-cultural city farm located in Tower Hamlets, the closest city farm to London's square mile.
- The Cecil Sharp House garden: A low-maintenance decorative, ecological and edible permaculture site, which also hosts the annual London Permaculture Festival, in Camden.
- The Regent’s Park Allotment Garden: Capital Growth’s flagship site offering volunteering, training and events for hundreds of Londoners every year.
And your first chance to visit will be at the Dig In networking event at Pop Brixton on Wednesday 14th March.
We are also working with these training partners including, The Albany, Edible Landscapes London and Whetstone Stray Allotments community plot, and St Luke's Growing Connections.
This looks like it is going to be our biggest year yet with more training courses than ever, and some never seen before workshops. Watch this space and we look forward to seeing all of you at a Capital Growth training course this year!